Re: Semantics-enhanced Software Extensibility

On 6/5/22 22:18, Adam Sobieski wrote:
> Hello. I would like to share some recent ideas and results from
> the/Nifty /project (https://github.com/AdamSobieski/Nifty
> <https://github.com/AdamSobieski/Nifty> ,
> https://github.com/AdamSobieski/Nifty/blob/master/OVERVIEW.md
> <https://github.com/AdamSobieski/Nifty/blob/master/OVERVIEW.md>).
>
> The project is exploring n-ary, URI-based semantics, e.g., n-ary SPARQL,
> and exploring semantics-enhanced software messages and events.

Your mention of n-ary relations and queries caught my attention.  The
github OVERVIEW.md page describes this as "a Turtle-based syntax", but
the example given doesn't look like Turtle:

   @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>.
   foaf:knows(_:alice, _:bob).
   foaf:knows(_:bob, _:alice).

And this example is also described as being "a SPARQL-based syntax", but
it doesn't look to me like SPARQL:

   PREFIX foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
   SELECT ?name ?mbox
   WHERE
   {
       foaf:name(?x, ?name).
       foaf:mbox(?x, ?mbox).
   }

Can you clarify?  Are you defining extensions of the Turtle and SPARQL
syntaxes?  And if so, are these extensions only intended to address
n-ary relations, or are you also adding more extensions for other
features?

I noticed mention of "formulas", which immediately made me think of n3.
  How do your formulas differ from n3 formulas?

I also noticed mention of both "pull- and push-based querying".  How
does that differ from forward and backward chaining?

Thanks,
David Booth