Re: [Integrity] Using hashes to locate the resource

Mike,

The most concise way to describe what I'm proposing is probably
noncanonical-src-any. In other words, some way to tell the client it can
attempt to load the file from a location of its choice.

I believe it would be useful, because in cases like JQuery neither the
website nor the user care about the exact location of the resource, but
they do care about ping time, availability or download speed.

Practical implementations could vary. I can think of several options.
Most of them are somewhat far-fetched, but simply having this
possibility in the draft would, in my opinion, make them more likely to
materialize.

I hope this clarifies what I meant.

I was not familiar with RFC5785 before you mentioned it, but something
similar to ".well-known/<hash>" did cross my mind:

<link rel="cdn-hint" href="//code.jquery.com/">
<link rel="cdn-hint" href="//ajax.googleapis.com/">
<link rel="cdn-hint" href="//ajax.aspnetcdn.com/">
<script src="/jquery-2.1.0.js"
integrity="ni:///sha-256;THISISTHEHASH?ct=application/javascript"
noncanonical-src-any></script>

The browser would try to load the file from
//code.jquery.com/.well-known/sha-256/THISISTHEHASH and so on. A similar
principle could be used for download mirrors. If the browsers are smart
about it, they could apply some heuristic to choosing the server,
including servers not on the hint list.