Possible inconsistency between XSL-FO and CSS regarding fixed positioning

From: Werner Donné <werner.donne@re.be>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:33:15 +0100
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

Dear Editors,

If I understand it correctly, a fixed box is not repeated
on every page, because it is a child of the page-viewport-area
and each page has its own page-viewport-area.

The "absolute-position" property is, however, derived from the
CSS property "position" and it uses the definitions of the latter.
The specification of the value "fixed" [1] doesn't say literally
that the box should be repeated on every page, but the example at
the end of the paragraph suggests it. Moreover, section 9.6.1 of
the CSS2 specification [2] says it explicitly. The CSS2.1 revision
has made the spefication of "fixed" explict with respect to the
repetition [3].

Shouldn't XSL-FO comply to that? The phrase "every page" is perhaps
not precise enough. Every page of a page-sequence would be more
natural. In CSS this should be refined as well I think [4].

Best regards,

Werner.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#absolute-position
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/visuren.html#fixed-positioning