RE: Predictability of rendering regions on the page

Ken,

The XSL FO SG discussed making z-index applicable to region-*
in XSL 1.1.  Unfortunately, things are more complicated than
they seem, and it was decided that we have to cut off changes
to XSL 1.1 if we are ever going to get it out, so we have
decided not to make such a change.

[Things are more complicated because some SG members have
plans to come up with a more general region capability that
needs to be upward compatible with the current regions, but
this more general thing--for reasons I don't understand fully
myself--can't necessarily use z-index.]

Apparently, this leaves you having to determine for each
implementation how it layers region-* and putting in
implementation-dependent code to account for this.

paul
(on behalf of the XSL FO SG)