RE: definition of "first character of each word"

As you imply, this text came straight from CSS, so
the real answer (if any) should come from CSS.
Note that the XSL spec has added the Note to this
property that "its use is not recommended in XSL."

Even the more recent CSS3 Candidate Recommendation
is no clearer:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-text-20030514/#caps-prop

In fact, it was (and remains) unclear in the CSS spec
what text-transform="capitalize" means.  Some users
thought this also meant to lowercase the non-initial
letters.  The CSS WG clarified this in response to my
question at (member only)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2004JanMar/0146
saying:

  capitalize
        Puts the first character of each word in uppercase;
        other characters are unaffected.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to try to be more specific
about "words" in the XSL spec.  This sort of thing should
be left as somewhat implementation specific.  As some of
your examples point out, it can be very difficult to
determine just what a "word" is in all cases.  Any
user using this property should do so with this
understanding.

paul