RE: VariableReferences in patterns in XSLT 1.0

It's always difficult to say why a WG made a particular decision, and I
wasn't a member of the WG at the time, but it this case the decision is
documented in James Clark's message to me of 15 Sep 1999:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/1999JulSep/0072.html

Both the spec itself, and this note, are clear that the ban on variable
references applies only to match patterns appearing in xsl:template and
xsl:key, and not to patterns used in xsl:number.

As I expect you are aware, this restriction has been lifted in XSLT 2.0.

Michael Kay