Better control over character encoding in HTML output method

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 13:52:01 -0500 (EST)
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
Hi,

when reading through XSLT 2.0 WD I found that one aspect of HTML output
method is not precisely defined and can cause problems for users using
Central European languages.

Citation from section 18.3:

The html output method may output a character using a character entity
reference, if one is defined for it in the version of HTML that the
output method is using.

Thit means, that XSLT procesor will output e.g. &eacute; or &xe9;
instead of . This might be acceptable for Western European languages
where are accented characters quite rare. But for example in Czech
accented characters are 10-20 % of all characters used. Using entities
means that you will get larger HTML files which are hard to edit by hand
(if someone other wants to edit them).

For this case I will welcome <xsl:output> attribute with same
functionality like saxon:character-representation="native" -- i.e.
attribute which forces output method to use native characters instead of
entity references where possible. This feature is really necessary for
us in CE -- I must use saxon:character-representation="native" in all my
XSLTs.

Thanks.

			Jirka Kosek

  Jirka Kosek