RE: xslt2 issues

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 17:09:24 +0100
To: "'DPawson@rnib.org.uk'" <DPawson@rnib.org.uk>, xsl-editors@w3.org
> Issue (user-functions-vs-vendor-functions): Should
> user-defined functions
> override vendor-defined functions of the same name, as
> specified here, or
> should it be the other way around?
>
> I would support a 'end user wins' approach, i.e. the
> stylesheet authors code
> overrides
> the vendor code.
>
> Rationale the same as with CSS stylesheets. Application proposes, user
> disposes, to use the WAI phrasing.

I think the counter-example that was put forward was where the stylesheet
imports a third-party library such as exslt:math, where the vendor has
inbuilt implementations of some of those functions.

On the whole I agree with you that it's better the end-user function should
win. But we may want to permit a vendor-defined mechanism that allows users
to control the precedence. Just a thought.