XSL PR - white-space-collapse

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@nadita.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:28:32 -0400 (EDT)
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
7.15.12 "white-space-collapse"

    true
        Specifies, for any character flow object such that:
            - its character is classified as white space in XML, and
            - it is not, however, a U+000A (linefeed) character, and
            - the immediately preceding flow object is a character flow
              object with a character classified as white space in XML
              or the immediately following flow object is a linefeed,
        that flow object shall not generate an area.

I think this definition is not sufficient.
whitespaces should be discarded also at beginning of line-area and end
of line-area.

Example:

<fo:block white-space-treatment="preserve"
          linefeed-treatment="treat-as-space"
          white-space-collapse="true">
  AAA   AAA
  <fo:block>
    BBB
  </fo:block>
  CCC
</fo:block>

These FOs generate three line-areas.
Before white-space-collapse is processed, these texts are:
    ___AAA___AAA___
    _____BBB___
    ___CCC_
    (here, space is represented as _ )

In each line-area spaces should be normalized.
Usually, we expect the following results:
    AAA_AAA
    BBB
    CCC
    (spaces are discarded at beginning and end of line-area)

and not expect:
    _AAA_AAA_
    _BBB_
    _CCC_