Re: XSLT 2.0 (was 1.1): working with strings (replace)

From: Ricardo Amador & M.Manuel Cabrita <ra.mc@mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:04:46 -0500 (EST)
To: <xsl-editors@w3.org>
I've just revised the XSLT 1.1 requirements and found that my suggestions
for XSLT1.1 are quite out of scope.
I've also checked Appendix G of XSLT1.0 and found that you do have plans for
addressing regular expressions in the context of the match attribute of
xsl:template.

In face of all that I guess all I have to say is: please consider a broader
range of use for regular expressions. IMHO, they make every sense as part of
XPath, but also in string functions like translate/replace, contains/search
or substring-before and other.

split/join are just scattered thoughts, when it comes to manipulating text
there are probably a million functions to consider and it's true XSLT1.1
already addresses the issue of user-defined functions.

Regards,
Ricardo