RE: Clarification request for xsl:message

From: Michael Kay <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:59:16 +0100
To: <David_Marston@lotus.com>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
Cc: <xslt-conformance@lists.oasis-open.org>
> The XSLT 1.0 Recommendation says at 16.4:
> "It is an error for output escaping to be disabled for a text
> node that is
> used for something other than a text node in the result tree."
>
> Should this apply to xsl:message?

A personal view:

Generally, xsl:message is underspecified in many ways, for example, there is
no way of specifying the desired encoding. However, it's clear I think that
the content of xsl:message is intended to be an XML document, and therefore
while it is executing, this document is "the result tree"; and therefore it
is valid it disable output escaping.

However, since the spec says nothing about how the output of xsl:message is
serialized, it's not clear what the semantics of disable-output-escaping
might be.