RE: XSLT wish list

From: Michael Kay <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:41:20 +0100
To: <birneyt@earthlink.net>, <xsl-editors@w3.org>
> I think the following feature would be useful for xslt:
>
> a function similar to the document() function, but taking a
> string of XML as
> an argument. In other words, rather than reading XML from an
> external file
> as document() does, this would read from a string.

Technically this could probably be done by a processor without requiring a
language extension, it would just require support for the "data:" URI
scheme.

However, it could be very inconvenient to use in practice, because of the
need to escape of special characters:

document("data:&lt;doc&gtSome &lt;important&gt; information&gt;")

This wouldn't apply if the string were generated from an extension function,
as you suggest; but if you're using extension functions already, why not
have the extension function call a parser to parse the string?

Mike Kay
Software AG