Syntax for specifying "structured" fo property values

From: Stephen Deach <sdeach@Adobe.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:06:09 -0700
To: w3c-xsl-fo-sg@w3.org
Cc: xsl-editors@w3.org
This is an interesting question from the public list.

The syntax I had been assuming for all multi-part CSS properties was:
  play-during="'url' mix"
  border="12pt dashed red"

We have also gotton several questions regarding whether one could state:
  space-before="12pt 24pt 36pt force discard"
and what is meant by (if allowed):
  space-before="12pt"
and what is meant by (if allowed):
  space-before="12pt" space-before.minimum="6pt"

I think the syntax for these needs a section in the spec.

---Steve

>From: pandeng@telepath.com (Steve Schafer)
>To: xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
>Subject: Syntax for specifying "structured" fo property values
>Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:39:45 GMT
>Sender: owner-xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
>
>The current XSL WD has very little to say about the syntax that is to
>be used for specifying the values of non-simple properties. In fact,
>the only thing I could find in the entire spec is the example given in
>3.6 for the space properties:
>
> space-before.minimum="2.0pt"
> space-before.maximum="4.0pt"
>
>But what about other structured properties? For example, what about
>play-during? If the value is a simple URL, the syntax seems obvious:
>
> play-during="http://www.foo.com/bar.au"
>
>What if I want to specify the "mix" or "repeat" modifiers as well? I
>suppose I could extend the pattern used by space:
>
> play-during.url="http://www.foo.com/bar.au"
> play-during.mix="true"
>
>But since the modifiers are optional, does this mean that
>"play-during" and "play-during.url" should both be allowed as
>attribute names in the XSL result tree?
>
>And what about the font property? It seems that there is no way to
>specify this without the use of nested quotation marks:
>
> font="12pt/14pt 'Times New Roman', serif"
>
>-Steve Schafer

This e-mail reflects the personal opinion of the author.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official position of Adobe Systems, Inc.
 -- Unless explicitly so stated in the text, it does not represent an
    official opinion of the W3C XSL Working group.
  Stephen Deach                            |  Sr Computer Scientist
  408-536-6521 (office)                    |  Adobe Systems Inc.
  408-537-4214 (fax)                       |  Mail Stop E15-420
  sdeach@adobe.com                         |  345 Park Ave