Re: Style Sheets Execution Time

Ernest J Baumbach wrote:

> I confess I haven't read this whole specification, however I am
> concerned witht the use of .CSS files today and possibly, therefore,
> with the use of XSL. When I use Framemaker to generate XSL and .CSS
> files, if I have a large number of style
> definitions, it can generate a file as large as 100 pages.

That is a deficienxcy of the Framemaker export process. Typical CSS
files are 10-100 lines, not 100 pages. Typical files that use CSS are
smaller, and load and display faster than ones that use presentational
attributes

> The problem I detected was that web pages that used to take 5 seconds to
> come
> up began taking up to 5 minutes to come up.

That is a pathological export. I suggest you look at how your Framemaker
styles are set up - you are using named styles, not setting the
formatting on each paragraph individually?

> I don't know if this has been a problem for other folks, but it
> certainly was for me.
> I know this is related to the number of paragraph and character styles
> that I define,
> but if this is so, then someone needs to do some measurements to
> determine what
> number of tags we should should restrict ourselves to to avoid
> performance probelms when we generate HTML/XML.

I suggset that you analyse one of the generated files and remove the
probably large amounts of redundancy in it. Then, for each additional
document that uses the same styles, strip out the link to the generated
CSS and link to your optimised CSS file. This will also allow the Web
client to benefit from HTTP cacheing, as the same stylesheet is re-used
many times.

In general, your problems are related to the particular generator tool
and not to an intrinsic defect of CSS or XSL stylesheets.

--
Chris