Re: static node-set element

You can already do this by leveraging the fact that you can get at the
stylesheet as an XML document:

<smirl:fragment id="xyzzy">
<whatever>
</whatever>
<smirl:fragment>

<xsl:template name="foo">
 <xsl:call-template name="bar"
              select="document('')//smirl:fragment[id='xyzzy']"/>
</xsl:template>

In a future version of XSLT, I agree it would be nice to make this more
convenient.