Why can't Unique IDs be elements?

From: <Alex.Thomas@dresdner-bank.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 20:17:21 +0100
To: xsl-editors@w3.org
If elements were relational database columns I would be able to specify any
element(s) as keys. If I understand XSL correctly, only attributes of
elements can be IDs, not sub-elements themselves. Since it is likely that
most database-oriented applications will use regular columns as IDs (i.e.
the ID will have system/internal as well as real-world/external meaning), it
would be a major limitation if these were forced to become attributes of
some other element. Can this be fixed?

Many thanks

Alex Thomas
IT Architect