Re: The first five minutes ... a thought experiment (long)

I can't help thinking about Robin Berjons session at the end of
xmlprague<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqPBuWcq5E#t=28468>about how
HTML has been and will continue to successfully evolve and
improve itself. HTML has JavaScript which allows developers to extend HTML,
and then the extensions which proves useful and popular are standardized in
future HTML versions. XProc does not have such a powerful way of creating
extensions. I won't argue for JavaScript support in XProc, but I think it
might be nice to have something more powerful than "just" being able to
define custom atomic steps. Custom compound steps would be neat (but I
realize it's probably not going to happen in v2). Maybe even some form of
higher order functions(/steps). I haven't been thinking too thoroughly
about this but there are limits to what one can do with custom atomic steps.

Jostein