Re: The first five minutes ... a thought experiment (long)

On 02/17/2014 07:40 AM, James Fuller wrote:
> Many, many people repeated to me that XProc does poorly in the first
> five minutes, in fact, it takes several sessions before basic concepts
> crystallize. Many people give up at this stage but those that make it
> through, turn into hard core XProc users, as they have run up and over
> the learning curve.

Likewise, for many users the xproc pipeline is something you get working
and leave alone for months. By the time you need to make a change to it,
you've forgotten the concepts and face the difficult "first five minutes
(hours?)" problem again.

There's a common trade-off between "making easy thing easy" and "making
hard things possible". XProc indeed came down firmly on the "make hard
things possible" side of that trade-off at the expense of making easy
things easy.

Perhaps some user stories/epics would help?

As the maintainer of an xml publishing tool chain, I would like to
replace my kludgy Ant or make tool chain with XProc.

Then focus on what makes each story hard.

I have to say though that once you have it working, it's great!

Regards,
David