Initial impressions [was: Re: try/catch with messages]

From: Graham Seaman <graham@theseamans.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 11:39:01 +0100
To: James Fuller <jim@webcomposite.com>
CC: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
On 17/04/14 11:33, James Fuller wrote:
> Graham,
>
> nice job sticking with it ... xproc has a difficult learning curve
> which we (as in the W3C XML Processing WG) are trying to address in
> vnext.
>
> Be interested in your fresh impressions, to see what you found
> confusing, useful , etc.
>
> cheers, Jim Fuller

I'd say the thing which has probably slowed me down most is an inability
to do simple debugging easily: a p:message as an equivalent to a 'print'
statement in other languages, or a more flexible p:log.

I've now more or less managed to create the pipeline that I wanted.
However, since this pipeline is meant to carry out a series of
validation steps the difficulty in getting back diagnostic information
when something unexpected goes wrong does limit its usefulness.

Looking forward to seeing the new version!

Cheers

Graham