Re: Register an extension step in Calabash

From: Romain Deltour <rdeltour@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:39:52 +0100
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
You can provide your own configuration file. Calabash will load the
configuration in order from:
  1. /etc/configuration.xml
  2. .calabash in your home directory
  3. .calabash in your current working directory
(see the XProcConfiguration#loadConfiguration() method)

Using the command line, you can also define the configuration file
using the -c|--config switch.

Now, there is no way (as far as I could see) to use an API to declare
your own step. Calabash basically uses the class name and reflection
to load the step instance with the XAtomicStep#run() method.

For our project, I experimented with using OSGi to dynamically
register a step to Calabash as an OSGi service. It worked quite well,
but required some slight refactoring of the aforementioned step
registration process. I intend to contribute this latter modification
as soon as I clean them a bit (probably later this week).

BR,
Romain.