How to run unconnected steps in sequence?

From: Jostein Austvik Jacobsen <josteinaj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:01:08 +0100
To: xproc-dev@w3.org
I remember seeing a note on this problem somewhere, but I can't find it. Say
I want to run these two steps in sequence:

p:load would have to run after p:store, or the file wouldn't be there yet.
Since p:store has no primary output and p:load has no primary input, the
processor may choose the order they are run in.

Is there a standard pattern for solving such issues? Something general, not
just for the store/load use-case?

Regards
Jostein Austvik Jacobsen