Re: XProc - patent issues?

I don't think you'd have anything to be concerned about.

XProc is just a specification (a W3C Recommendation), and you're free to
implement it, or implement whatever you wish.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/

That said, there's scads of prior pipeline languages out there, from Ant,
Cocoon pipelines, Orbeon XPL, Deri Pipes, etc, etc... and they're all bound
to share some commonalities.

-Leif