Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

Thanks Michael.  In my mind, for this spec,  ease of implementation
trumps borrowing from existing specs if you cant in fact reuse existing
technology.
e.g from what I can see
  <xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

Has the advantage of borrowing from existing specs (xslt) but is
overweighted by the complexity of implementing the parser for say
    "xs:positiveInteger('5')"

Not only would one have to write a parser for
       <TYPE> '(' value ')'

(not too hard)
But because it is borrowing from existing specs the implication would be
that we'd have to parse *anything* that could otherwise be in select="..."
That would require a full blown XPATH 2.0 parser.

Now of course we could refine the spec to limit the subset of XPATH 2.0
which is allowed to be in the select="" to only a small set of lexical
elements.
But then we're diverging from the original purpose of borrowing from
existing specs which is that they are familiar, we dont have to
re-document them, and they mean in this new spec fundamentally what they
meant in the spec were borrowing from.

Given that I'm going to suggest atomic values be represented as a new
element like
    <atomicValue value="5" type="xs:positiveInteger"/>.

But try to reuse the other suggested XSLT elements for documents,
elements etc.
All in a new namespace .. (because they are not actually the same thing
as xsl: even if they are based on it).
I'm a bit on the fence if atomic values should have the value as an
attribute or body.
Attributes make sense for small values like the above, but what a very
common case of huge text.

*<atomicValue value="This is a huge block of text
1000000 lines later"  type="xs:string" />*

Gives me the impression the value should be in the body.

*<atomicValue type="xs:string">This is a huge block of text
1000000 lines later</atomicValue>
*

Could always support both variants :(

David A. Lee