Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

In my mind this new specification I'm proposing would neither subsume
the existing  serialization specifications, nor be merged ino XQuery,
XPath and XSLT.
The former because I'm proposing an entirely different set of use cases
and implications that the existing specification does not address, but
on the other hand it doesn't replace the use cases the existing spec
addresses.  Hence it is not a replacement.  Its disjoint.

The later because in practice I cannot imagine the W3C cracking open the
XQuery, XPath and XSLT specifactions to add this.
Perhaps they 'should' (??)... but I don't believe it will happen.   I'm
not convinced myself that its appropriate anyway as there is value in
having smaller specs to address individual issues then bigger specs that
try to address everything.

In the mean time though I suggest there is real world value in a new XDM
Serialization spec that covers the use cases I have put forth (and
probably others as well).
Perhaps it should be called something else so as not to be confused.
Naming suggestions welcome !

As for this becoming a 'real' specification, I certainly cannot do that,
I'm not on the W3C  ( or ISO or Oasis or any other 'standards
organizaiton') and cant afford to join myself and even if I could it
would require the efforts of multiple people over a long time.  Maybe
someday !  In the mean time if I can identify a real need and propose an
informal specification and then implement it and see if I can get others
to implement it that can have real value , IMHO.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org