RE: Default value for the 'omit-xml-declaration' serialization option

From: <Toman_Vojtech@emc.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:38:37 -0400
To: <xproc-dev@w3.org>

> > In the case of p:escape-markup, I think the default of true
> is what we
> > want,
>
> Why?

Because, if I remember correctly, we agreed that we don't want to
generate XML declaration in the escaped content.

> > but with the other steps (p:http-request, p:store, p:exec) I am
> > not that sure. Especially with p:store and p:exec.
>
> What can the XML Declaration specify?
>
> 1. The version of XML, by default 1.0. If it's not 1.0 you *must*
> output an XML declaration, serialization parameters be damned.
>
> 2. The encoding. If the encoding isn't UTF8/16, you *must* output
> an XML declaration, serialization paramters be damned.
>
> 3. A standalone declaration. I don't think I've ever seen this used
> effectively. I'm not even sure it has an effective use.
>
> I don't feel strongly about it, but if we decide that it shouldn't be
> false, I think it should be implementation defined.

I don't feel strongly either, I was just thinking. My concern was
primarily the encoding in p:store. That p:store produces documents
without the XML declaration seemed a bit... But never mind, I don't have
a serious problem with that.

Regards,
Vojtech