Re: Configuration options

2008/11/11 Norman Walsh wrote:

> What's the right answer here? A Java .properties file on the class
> path? A new command line option to point to an (XML) configuration
> file? A ".file" in the current/home directory?

  Between Java properties and an XML file, I think we'll all agree :-)
 We are used to think hierarchically with XML, and I think Java
properties are frustrating in that regard (and usually soon become a
mess.)

  For option vs. a file in home directory, I think the typical Unix
shell approach has proven successful: look at a Java property pointing
to such a config file (set from the Java calling program or from the
command line) then look in the current dir for a file with a specific
name, then look in the home dir and eventually look in the site-wide
config dir (/etc or whatever.)

  This way, admins can set options at the site level (connections,
proxy...) then the user at her level (in her home) then at one
application or project level.

  Hope that helps,

--
Florent Georges