xml-add- base and relative

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:18:00 -0500
To: "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>
Looking at the test case  add-xml-base-003.xml I  believe the intent is clear,
but I cant see how the specs supports the interpretation.

The relevent specs:
" if the value of the relative option is true, a string which, when resolved against the parent's [base URI], will give the element's [base URI], otherwise the element's [base URI]."

Given the parent's base URI:

And the element's base URI:

And using the definition of "resolve" from both the Java SDK for URI and the RFC 2396

The string which resolved against the parent's [base URI] to give the element's baseURI is the full URI

But the test expectations (and what I think is the "intent") is that the base URI for purposes of resolve (but NOT for purposes of the xml:base attribute) is the parent's base URI minus the final file component.

Hence the resultant string is "xml-base-chap.xml" which when resolved against

Hence I think the spec needs to be changed to specify that resolution is NOT against the parent's base URI  but rather against the parent's base URI with the final path component removed.

David A. Lee