Re: pipeline or declare-step?

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:46:55 -0500
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

> When should we choose one over the other?

If you happen to want a pipeline that:

1. Has a single non-sequence input
2. Has a single non-sequence output
3. And allows parameters

then p:pipeline is a convenient syntactic shorthand for the
p:declare-step that would provide the same features.

We expect this to be a common case, so I'd probably suggest that most
folks start with p:pipeline most of the time. As it happens, I prefer to
be more explicit so I prefer p:declare-step. But I'm weird.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The delivering of knowledge in distinct
http://nwalsh.com/            | and disjointed aphorisms doth leave the