Re: Although no external representation of schemas is required ... What is an "external" representation?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 08:49:15 +0100
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

On 28/06/2012 22:57, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> In addition to whatever datatype components may be built in, one of
> the use cases we discussed was one in which an XHTML editor might have
> built in knowledge of a schema for XHMTL. Nothing precludes a
> special-purpose editor of other industry standard vocabularies from
> building in knowledge of the validation rules for those vocabularies.

And of course, being "built-in" doesn't mean it wasn't derived from a
source schema document initially. Saxon, for example, validates XSD
files with the help of finite-state machine tables that are hard-coded
into the schema processor, but which were originally derived by taking
the schema-for-schema-documents, compiling and determinizing the finite
state machine, and then generating a Java source code representation of
the state tables.

Michael Kay
Saxonica