Re: The Rule of Least Power

Original Message From: "Michael Kay"

> On 21/06/2012 17:44, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Below is a discussion of the rule of least power and how it applies to
>> XML Schema design. The rule of least power is very cool. Comments
>> welcome.  /Roger
>>

>> The rule of least power says that given a choice of suitable ways to
>> implement something, choose the least powerful way.
>>
> While I can see the arguments, I have to say I am very uncomfortable with
> this as an architectural principle. A great deal of software design is
> concerned with building systems that have potential for change, and that
> means choosing technologies and designs that provide enough headroom to
> cope with future requirements as well as current requirements. I think
> this "rule" could be used to justify some really poor design decisions,
> for example using a text file for data interchange instead of using XML.

Likewise, using a myriad of simple tools may actually be more complicated
than using one powerful tool.  (It would help if the powerful tool is
readily parsable though, unlike C++!)

Like lots of things in life, there are no simple answers!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Twitter: http://twitter.com/petecordell
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info