Re: The Rule of Least Power

From: Pete Cordell <petexmldev@codalogic.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:29:05 +0100
To: "Noah Mendelsohn" <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "Kevin Braun" <kbraun@obj-sys.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Original Message From: "Noah Mendelsohn"

> Furthermore, immediately under that guidance, the Finding goes on to say:
>
> "In aiming for simplicity, one must of course go far enough but not too
> far. The language you choose must be powerful enough to successfully solve
> your problem, and indeed, complexity and lack of clarity can easily result
> from clumsy efforts to patch around use of a language that is too limited.
> Furthermore, the suggestion to use less powerful languages must in
> practice be weighed against other factors. Perhaps the more powerful
> language is a standard and the less powerful language not, or perhaps the
> use of simple idioms in a powerful language makes it practical to use the
> powerful languages without unduly obscuring the information conveyed (see
> 3 Scalable language families). Overall, the Web benefits when less
> powerful languages can be successfully applied. "
>
> Maybe I'm too close to this one,  but that seems pretty balanced and
> appropriate to me.

The clarifying text does seem to change it from a rule to a guideline!

I'm thinking that static data can be represented using XML, or (arguably)
less powerful JSON, or even less powerful .ini file format or even CSV.  But
to me it seems a world using all four of those representations is actually
more complicated than just using XML.

Maybe a "Rule of  Not Over Complicating" would be better!

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Twitter: http://twitter.com/petecordell
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using C++ XML
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ or http://www.xml2cpp.com
for more info