RE: Classroom critique of XML Schema 1.1

From: Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:57:41 -0400
To: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Hi Noah,

> Bottom line: if Schematron is what you want, by all means use it, either
> alone, or in conjunction with XSD.

One student made the following remark after learning of the restrictions on <assert> and <alternative> and the inheritable attributes:

   I see no reason for using XML Schema 1.1 since
   I can do everything (and more) using the combination of
   XML Schema 1.0 and Schematron. Plus, with
   Schematron I get friendly, user-defined
   diagnostic messages, which I don't get from
   either XML Schema 1.0 or 1.1

How would you respond to that? What does XML Schema 1.1 give that can't already be obtained using XML Schema 1.0 and Schematron?

/Roger