Re: What is lost if xsd:choice is jettisoned?

As I recall, in order to substitute one element for another (as in
substitution groups), you have to be using global elements and their
types must be compatible.  The choice allows for local elements (they
can be in no namespace) and they can have types that are not at all
related.  In your example, train, plane, and automobile happen to have
the same content models, but that may not always be the case.

Kevin

--
Objective Systems, Inc.
REAL WORLD ASN.1 AND XML SOLUTIONS