Re: What is this simpleType's "base" type?

From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:44:22 +0530
To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>
Cc: "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
The point which Mike answered is correct I believe.

For other ones, I'll have a take on them.

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Costello, Roger L. <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> If one is the "base" type then what is the other?

The other one is itemType of the list (the list type is the "base"
type you've mentioned above).

> What would you name a function that, given LotteryNumbers, returns the list type?
>     get-xxx(LotteryNumbers) returns
>            <xsd:simpleType>
>                <xsd:list itemType="OneToNinetyNine"/>
>            </xsd:simpleType>
> What name would you replace xxx with?

I think the commonly used term to express "xxx" here is simply base
type. So you may name xxx here as base-type probably.

or perhaps,
getType(LotteryNumbers, "base")

could say that retrieve the base type of the type LotteryNumbers.

> What would you name a function that, given LotteryNumbers, returns OneToNinetyNine?
>     get-yyy(LotteryNumbers) returns
>    <xsd:simpleType name="OneToNinetyNine">
>        <xsd:restriction base="xsd:positiveInteger">
>            <xsd:maxInclusive value="99"/>
>        </xsd:restriction>
>    </xsd:simpleType>
> What name would you replace yyy with?

I think this may be better done with two function calls, for e.g,

getItemType(getType(LotteryNumbers, "base"))

this may return the itemType of list, if that is the case or null otherwise.

Mukul Gandhi