RE: running XML Schema 1.0 using a 1.1 processor

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 11:31:45 +0100
To: "'Andrew Welch'" <andrew.j.welch@gmail.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> In Saxon to run a 1.1 schema you need to explicitly enable
> it, otherwise it will run as 1.0.
>
> Is there any harm is always enabling 1.1 - even when running
> 1.0 schemas - or are there issues which mean a 1.0 schema
> must always be run in 1.0 mode?

The only issue is that you won't get any error messages if you use 1.1
facilities by mistake, for example maxOccurs on particles in an xs:all group
won't be checked against the 1.0 rules.

I did it this way because some of the new facilities in 1.1 don't involve
new syntax, they involve the removal of restrictions on existing syntax, and
I wanted to make sure that people would get the stricter 1.0 checking by
default, especially as 1.1 is still rather bleeding edge.

If your schema is valid against the 1.0 rules then I don't think there are
any cases where it will behave differently if 1.1 is enabled.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/