Re: How to specify "coupled" attibutes

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com a écrit :
>> You cannot do that in XML Schema (at least not in the current version,
> 1.0).
>
> Yes, but you will be able to enforce that check using the assertion
> mechanism that's planned for Schema 1.1.

I wonder if this assertion mechanism will enforce the content model to
be those expected, or if it is a mechanism that works like schematron,
that is to say *after* applying the content model ; an editor would
propose to its user some candidate elements for insertion and then
refuse the one selected thanks to the assertion ; not fair

I'm convinced that it's much more efficient to act on the content model
directly ; to quote Michael Kay, "there will always be rules that can't
be expressed in a grammar-based schema language", so why not *mixing*
declarative languages such as schema languages with imperative
constructs ? your content model would adapt itself dynamically to the
data to validate

Here is a detailed explanation with an example :
http://www.idealliance.org/papers/extreme/proceedings/html/2007/Poulard01/EML2007Poulard01.html#t5

Some other examples (that you can run if you donwload the engine) :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/tutorial-schemas.html

Notice that mixing a declarative language with imperative constructs is
a concept already adopted by your peers : if/then/else and for-each
structures are part of XPath2 ; the same in W3C XML Schema would enhance
dramatically its expressiveness power

--
Cordialement,

               ///