Re: SimpleType as valid derivation of abstract type in 1.1 ?

I'm probably missing the point, but in this case what you have here seems to
be more of a complex type issue.

With:

<xsd:complexType name="Obj">
    <xsd:sequence>
       <xsd:element ref="ObjId"/>
    </xsd:sequence>
 </xsd:complexType>

 <xsd:complexType name="Car">
    <xsd:complexContent>
       <xsd:restriction base="Obj">
          <xsd:sequence>
             <xsd:element ref="CarId"/>
          </xsd:sequence>
       </xsd:restriction>
    </xsd:complexContent>
 </xsd:complexType>

because ObjId and CarId have different names, I don't think they can ever be
considered to be related, even if they share similar types.  If instead of

   <xsd:element ref="CarId"/>

you had:

   <xsd:element name="ObjId" type="CarId"/>

then there might be some scope for this to work.

Does the following schema snippet not work for you?:

<xsd:complexType name="Obj">
    <xsd:sequence>
       <xsd:element ref="ObjId"/>
    </xsd:sequence>