RE: XML Schema validation doesnt throw some basic errors?

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 20:38:33 -0000
To: "'MM'" <manoj_madhavan@freddiemac.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> 1) If a complex type has 10 elements which are defined as
> mandatory in my schema. In my xml instance if I put only the
> 10th element, on validating this against the schema, I get
> only 1 error saying that 'found {10th element} while
> expecting 9th element.
> It doent say that the other 8 elements were missing. I've
> enabled full-schema-checking. I want to collect all errors at
> one go and dont want to get one error at a time. Is there a
> way to achieve this?

I would think it unlikely that any implementation will give you more that
one error message for a sequence of sibling elements that doesn't match the
content model of the parent element. But error reporting depends entirely on
the implementation so you would be better off asking on a product-specific
list.

> 2) If i put a junk element which is not at all defined in the
> schema just before closing my <root> tag, the schem
> validation doesnt catch this. For
> eg: in the below xml
> <root>
>   <element_defined_in_schema_1>..</element_defined_in_schema_1>
>   <element_not_defined_in_schema>junk</element_not_defined_in_schema>
> </root>
>
> schema validation doesnt throw an error saying that
> "element_not_defined_in_schema" is not a valid one.

My instinct is to say: prove it. Given that you haven't shown us the
evidence (full schema and instance document), my guess is that it's more
likely you have made a mistake than that Xerces has got this wrong.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/