RE: References to a value of an element in another element?

Michael Kay writes:

> On the other hand, it might be that everyone ends up
> implementing the whole
> of XPath 2.0 because it's too much of a pain to implement a
> subset. That's
> certainly what I intend to do.

Everytime something like this comes up our community winds up
rediscovering or rediscussing the same tradeoffs.  I think it's worth
pointing out that the above point, while very important in some contexts,
is less pertinent in others.  In particular, if you're in an environment
where you have or can conveniently integrate an existing full function
XPath implementation, then you're right.  Providing the full XPath not
only gives users a richer capability, it may be easier for the
implementer.

Conversely, if you're in an environment in which the existing XPath
implemenations aren't appropriate for one of the many reasons existing
implementations sometimes can't be used (e.g. performance, packaging,
licensing, implementation programming lanuage, error handling or reporting
model, if evaluation is to be type aware, whether type information can be
conveniently conveyed from your validation framework to the XPath
implementation, etc., etc.) then requiring the full XPath language is
indeed a significant implementation task.  It's also more function to
test, and whether one can just "trust" the testing done against an
existing XPath implementation is a maybe.

So, I don't think there's one answer that's clearly the right one for
everyone:  you can make good cases both for and against full XPath 2.0,
limited subset, or some sort of variability.  A related debate has to do
with whether evaluation should be type-aware.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142