Re: optional textnode in element

Hi Chris,

You can define your element type as a union of integers from one to 100
and empty string.

   <xs:element name="test">
     <xs:simpleType>
       <xs:union>
         <xs:simpleType>
           <xs:restriction base="xs:integer">
             <xs:minInclusive value="1"/>
             <xs:maxInclusive value="100"/>
           </xs:restriction>
         </xs:simpleType>
         <xs:simpleType>
           <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
             <xs:enumeration value=""/>
           </xs:restriction>
         </xs:simpleType>
       </xs:union>
     </xs:simpleType>
   </xs:element>

Empty values are not nil in XML Schema. To mark a nil value you should
use xsi:nil=true where xsi is bound to the schema instance namespace
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance.

If you modify the above example to specify that the element is nillable

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

   <xs:element name="test" nillable="true">

then you can have instances like

nil value:

<test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:nil="true"/>

enpty value

<test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"/>

integer value

<test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">10</test>

You *cannot* have xsi:nil specified and also an integer value like below

<test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:nil="true">10</test>

Best Regards,
George