Online validator - "." matches \r

From: Dave Evans <dme@sirius-software.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:39:06 EST
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi, I have tried to use the online schema validator:

   http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv

I am trying to validate an instance document.  In the "Address(es):"
input area, I have entered two URLs, separated by a space:

  http://sirius-software.com/daveweb/resources/schtst03.xml
  http://sirius-software.com/daveweb/resources/schtst03.xsd

I think that this instance document should fail, because it has
a carriage return between the characters "A" and "B", which the
"." in the pattern "A.*B" should not match.  At the end of appendix
F in part 2 of the schema recommendation, it clearly states that
"." does not match CarriageReturn:

  Character
  sequence:   Equivalent character class:

(The assessment was for the document "<t>A&#x0D;B</t>" against a
schema which restricted the string content of element "t" to
match the pattern "A.*B".  (Note that testing with "&#x0A;"
between "A" and "B" fails, as expected.)

Can you please let me know whether this validation should
succeed or fail?

Thank you.  Dave Evans, Sirius Software Inc., Cambridge MA USA
617-876-6677 ext. 204