RE: any processContents strict

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:00:31 -0000
To: "'Bryan Rasmussen'" <brs@itst.dk>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> If I send an instance to a validator and it encounters
> content it does not
> understand it is up to the processor if it defaults to
> validate strict, lax, skip....

I would have said it is up to the user, but the way the user tells the
processor what they want is implementation-defined.

> But if I have an xsd:any and set the processContents to be
> strict then the
> processor must follow the strict validation model for
> everything that within
> the element that can hold 'any', correct?

Yes.

IIRC there is some ambiguity about processContents="lax", if you find an
element for which there is no global element declaration, whether you "skip"
it, or apply lax validation to its children.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/