RE: Hiding namespace prefixes in the instance document

As George says, you need to concentrate on deciding which namespace the
elements are in; prefixes are purely cosmetic.

I think it's best when using schemas, in general, to use namespaces and
stick to them. I'm no fan of chameleon includes or redefines, they only lead
to confusion in the long run. You quickly find yourself having to write
transformations to move documents into and out of namespaces and it just
gets more and more messy.

Michael Kay
http://wwww.saxonica.com/