Re: SV: no targetNamespace, elementFormDefault qualified

Bryan Rasmussen writes:

> Should there be an xmlns:blank="" perhaps to actively qualify
> the non-namespace qualified elements?

Well, while this could perhaps have been done, the namespaces 1.1
Recommendation is very clear on this point.  From [1]:

"The empty string, though it is a legal IRI reference, cannot be used as a
namespace name."

furthermore:

"The use of relative IRI references, including same-document references,
in namespace declarations is deprecated."

So, "" is by design not usable as a namespace name.  If "" were a
namespace name, its use would be deprecated at very least because it would
be a relative URI.  Furthermore, there's already a ton of software
deployed that understands the above as doing something else. [2]:

"The attribute value in a namespace declaration for a prefix MAY be empty.
This has the effect, within the scope of the declaration, of removing any
association of the prefix with a namespace name."

If the above syntax were used, then we'd need another way to unbind a
namespace declaration. [2]

For all those reasons, my personal opinion is that this isn't going to
happen.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#iri-use
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-names11/#scoping