rules for handling document elements not in the target namespace?

From: Bryan Rasmussen <brs@itst.dk>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:53:05 +0200
To: "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Hi, I have a schema in namespace X that validates one global element, in
order to test that element I went ahead and put various versions of the
element in a document with a document element in a different namespace, most
processors reacted fine with that and told me that my proper examples were
correct and my bad examples were incorrect.
XMLSPY however got upset that the document element was not validated in my
schema.

as a second test I then created an instance consisting only of a document
element not in the target namespace of the schema which XMLSPY also reported
as being invalid because of the document element not being validated by the
schema.

A co-worker said that this was because doing so was optional by the spec, by
my memory this was not one of the optional sections. I've looked but of
course the spec is rather large, can someone point me to the optional part
of the spec on this matter or give me some backup on its not being optional
if indeed it isn't.