Re: [Bulk] Trying to Understand Complex Abstract Types: How To Define?

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:44:21 +0000
To: Eric Sirois <easirois@rogers.com>
Cc: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com>, xml-schema-dev <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

I'm afraid your example/discussion depends on knowledge of a schema
(DITA?) which I'm not familiar with.

There are a number of circumstances in which substitution groups can't
be used:

  1) The desired target (substitution group head) is a declared
     locally, within some complex type definition, rather than at the
     top-level;

  2) The desired target has an anonymous type definition;

  3) The desired target or its type have blocked substitution either
     directly via 'block' or indirectly, via 'final'.

Not sure which of these cases you're pointing to.

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk