Re: It seems to be a problem with the XML Schema for Schemas which is normative...

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:34:24 +0000
To: Mathieu Lemoine <Swoog@laposte.net>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, Hussien Shafie <hussein@pixware.fr>

Mathieu Lemoine <Swoog@laposte.net> writes:

>     Hussien Shafie, XMLmind _<hussein@pixware.fr>_
>
>         Why doesn't __xsdvalid__ complain about base="xs:anyType" in:
>         ---
>         <xs:complexType base="xs:anyType" name="empty" />
>         ---
>         ?
>
>         __xsdvalid__ works in 2 passes:
>         [1] The XML Schema For Schemas *which is normative* is used to
>         validate your schema.
>         [2] __xsdvalid__ translates the XML to validation objects,
>         without checking what should have been checked during first
>         pass. (Yes, there is a form of bootstrapping here.)

This is a sensible architecture, but I don't understand the reply from
XML Mind -- the sForS does in fact rule out a base attribute on
xs:complexType elements, so their tool should throw it out at [1].

I've moved this discussion to xmlschema-dev, since it's not an issue
about the REC as such.

                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk