From: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com [mailto:noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 03 December 2005 00:02
To: Bryan Rasmussen
Cc: 'Michael Kay'; 'petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com'; 'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'
Subject: Re: SV: SV: SV: SV: Schema help

Should Schematron be seriously considered?  Absolutely.  It has many
attractive qualities and seems to be doing well for at least some users.  Is
it such an obvious choice that we should rush it?  I don't think so.
Picking up on just one point mentioned in this thread...

Bryan Rasmussen writes:

> Given that there is likely to be some argument in W3C as to how
> far such constraints should be implemented I doubt they will
> come out as powerful as Schematron constraints

Probably true, but that doesn't necessarily make the Schematron approach the
best.  I think we need to also consider Tim Berners-Lee's Principle of Least
Power [1].  Since what Tim has written on this is just a few paragraphs,
I'll quote them all here:

"In choosing computer languages, there are classes of program which range
from the plainly descriptive (such as Dublin Core metadata, or the content
of most databases, or HTML) though logical languages of limited power (such
as access control lists, or conneg content negotiation) which include
limited propositional logic, though declarative languages which verge on the
Turing Complete (PDF) through those which are in fact Turing Complete though
one is led not to use them that way (XSLT, SQL) to those which are
unashamedly procedural (Java, C).

The choice of language is a common design choice. The low power end of the
scale is typically simpler to design, implement and use, but the high power
end of the scale has all the attraction of being an open-ended hook into
which anything can be placed: a door to uses bounded only by the imagination
of the programmer.

Computer Science in the 1960s to 80s spent a lot of effort making languages
which were as powerful as possible. Nowadays we have to appreciate the
reasons for picking not the most powerful solution but the least powerful.
The reason for this is that the less powerful the language, the more you can
do with the data stored in that language. If you write it in a simple
declarative from, anyone can write a program to analyze it in many ways. The
Semantic Web is an attempt, largely, to map large quantities of existing
data onto a common language so that the data can be analyzed in ways never
dreamed of by its creators. If, for example, a web page with weather data
has RDF describing that data, a user can retrieve it as a table, perhaps
average it, plot it, deduce things from it in combination with other
information. At the other end of the scale is the weather information
portrayed by the cunning Java applet. While this might allow a very cool
user interface, it cannot be analyzed at all. The search engine finding the
page will have no idea of what the data is or what it is about. This the
only way to find out what a Java applet means is to set it running in front
of a person.

I hope that is a good enough explanation of this principle. There are
millions of examples of the choice. I chose HTML not to be a programming
language because I wanted different programs to do different things with it:
present it differently, extract tables of contents, index it, and so on."

I think we need to consider the choice of constraint mechanisms from this
perspective too.  At least in principle, the ideal would be something just
powerful enough, but no more.  I know that Schematron is sometimes
implemented on top of XSLT, and full XSLT is much too powerful for me to be
comfortable using it as part of validation.  I would like to study whether
Schematron per se may be more appropriately limited, and I have not yet
looked into it in detail.  Perhaps someone who knows Schematron better than
I do can enlighten me?

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Principles.html#PLP

--------------------------------------
Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
1-617-693-4036
--------------------------------------

	Bryan Rasmussen <brs@itst.dk>

11/18/2005 03:31 AM

        To:        "'noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com'"
<noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
        cc:        "'petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com'"
<petexmldev@tech-know-ware.com>, "'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'"
<xmlschema-dev@w3.org>, "'Michael Kay'" <mike@saxonica.com>
        Subject:        SV: SV: SV: SV: Schema help

Well on the subject of co-occurence constraints I would just like to
reiterate what I said earlier, with some extension:

Given that there is likely to be some argument in W3C as to how far such
constraints should be implemented I doubt they will come out as powerful as
Schematron constraints, furthermore I have a hard time seeing this as
producing a syntax as nice as Schematron, therefore I would really like to
see something like:

1. XML Schema adopts Schematron as an extension language of some sort.
2. XML Schema puts some thought into how Schematron can be combined with XML
Schema to the benefit of both, beyond the normal  method of drop schematron
in appinfo.

I have some ideas on #2, but I'm somewhat conflicted about them - what model
makes sense, syntax etc. so I don't really want to just blurt out with it.
I'd be more interested in hearing what kinds of things other people could
see connecting the two languages.

Cheers
Bryan Rasmussen