RE: Namespace error

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:15:12 +0100
To: <Farid.Mahini@L-3com.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

>  I would have thought that any valid file name can also be
> considered an URI

Some implementors take that view, but the W3C specs generally cite RFC 2396,
or more recently RFC 3986, which contain a more formal definition of the
permitted syntax, and also some semantic rules. Thus c:\abc.xml is not a
valid URI because the "\" character is disallowed, while c:/abc.xml is not a
valid URI because no-one has registered a URI scheme named "c".

http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.html

However, the extent to which different W3C specs require or permit
implementations to enforce these rules is thoroughly moot - it's one of the
weakest areas of W3C standardization, in my view.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/