From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 4:12 AM
To: Xan Gregg; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: RE: canonical lexical rep

> The dependency relates to default values, which are stored in the
> component property as values (not lexical representations).  When a
> schema inserts the value into an instance document, it used the
> canonical representation of the value.
>
> Not all datatypes have canonical representations.  xs:QName,
> at least, doesn't.

Does this imply that elements/attributes whose data type has no canonical
representation cannot have a default value?

This would make life easier! If the schema specifies

<xs:attribute name="q" type="xs:QName" default="my:value"
xmlns:my="some.uri"/>

and the instance document includes neither this attribute nor any namespace
declaration for "some.uri", is the instance valid? I can't see any rule
saying it isn't; but it surely can't be valid, because the expanded document
can't be serialized as well-formed XML - except by adding namespaces to the
document, which section 3.2.5 doesn't mention as a possibility.